JUDGE DENIES COUNTERCLAIMS IN TCPA SUIT BECAUSE THEY MIGHT DETER OTHER PLAINTIFFS FROM SUING
- A District Court judge in California has granted a plaintiff’s motion to dismiss counterclaims filed by a defendant that is accused of violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act by using an automated telephone dialing system to make collection calls to the plaintiff after consent to contact him had been revoked.
SURGEON OFFERS INNOVATING APPROACH TO WORKING OFF MEDICAL DEBTS
- A surgeon in Nebraska is taking a very unconventional approach to letting his patients pay for their medical bills — he is letting them work off the debt by volunteering for local humanitarian groups.
JUDGE PARTIALLY DISMISSES SUIT OVER DISPUTED DEBT
- A District Court judge in New York has granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act claim but denied the motion to dismiss a Fair Credit Reporting Act claim after the plaintiff filed suit because of a disputed debt.
NCLC PUBLISHES SUMMARY OF APPEALS, SUPREME COURT FDCPA DECISIONS FROM 2019
- Since I’m not above admitting that there are a lot of resources available to help people in the industry stay on top of important legal developments, I wanted to point out that the National Consumer Law Center has published a reference guide to all 25 Fair Debt Collection Practices Act cases that were decided at the Appeals Court or Supreme Court levels in 2019.
INSIGHTS FROM EXPERTS ON TRENDING COMPLIANCE ISSUES
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from seven different compliance experts — John Bedard, Laurie Nelson, Helen Mac Murray, Stefanie Jackman, Lauren Valenzuela, Ethan Ostroff, and Rick Perr — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: What everyone cares about from last night’s Super Bowl — the commercials … People seem to love their Old Bay seasoning … Definitely the weirdest moment from last night’s half-time show … Super Bowl fever is going to rage through offices nationwide today … How to update your employee recognition programs … How climate change will affect the wine you drink … I’m sure he wasn’t the only one to make this mistake … How self-driving cars deal with snow and ice.
A marathon of riddles
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.