JUDGE DENIES CLASS CERTIFICATION IN TCPA CASE INVOLVING COLLECTION CALLS MADE TO WRONG NUMBER
- A District Court judge in Florida has denied a motion to certify a class-action lawsuit in a Telephone Consumer Protection Act case in which an individual received wrong number calls on his cell phone from a debt collector using an automated telephone dialing system.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES WANTS CHANCE TO DEFEND CFPB’S LEADERSHIP STRUCTURE
- The House of Representatives is seeking an opportunity to weigh in and convince the Supreme Court not to hear arguments in a case that would question the constitutionality of the leadership structure atop the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
JUDGE DECLINES TO HOLD DEVOS IN CONTEMPT, BUT BLASTS ED. DEPT. FOR COLLECTING ON PROHIBITED LOANS
- A Magistrate Judge in California decided to delay a determination of whether to hold Education Secretary Betsy DeVos in contempt of court yesterday, but did say she was “astounded” at the “gross negligence” of the department in collecting on prohibited loans made to former students of Corinthian College.
CALIF. GOV. SIGNS PACKAGE OF COLLEGE-RELATED BILLS INTO LAW, INCLUDING ONE LIMITING COLLECTION PRACTICES
- The Governor of California signed a number of bills into law yesterday related to college admissions and financial aid, including a law that limits what can be done to collect on unpaid debts owed to any public or private post-secondary institution.
GARNET CAPITAL ADVISORS ADDS RMAI BROKER CERTIFICATION
- Garnet Capital is proud to announce that, in addition to its many existing certifications, it has earned the Certified Receivables Vendor (CRV) designation for Broker Services from the Receivables Management Association International (RMAI).
WORTH NOTING: The things parents don’t talk to their kids about, but should … Who wants to drink whiskey like a Tide pod? … The favorites to win the Nobel Peace Prize … Seven things millennials do better than anyone else … How to land a job in a hot market … Meet the man who is the most prolific serial killer in America … How having a dog may help people who’ve had heart attacks live longer … You’re using the escalator wrong.
Why mosquitoes bite some people more than others
Breaking down driving scenes from movies
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.