JUDGE GRANTS MSJ FOR DEFENDANT IN FDCPA CASE OVER DISMISSED COLLECTION SUIT
- A District Court judge in Wisconsin has granted a defendant’s motion for judgment on the pleadings after it was sued for allegedly violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act because it tried to sue the plaintiff twice for an unpaid debt, but neither summons was ever served and the lawsuits were dismissed, thus causing the plaintiff to suffer anxiety and emotional harm for lawsuits he never had to defend himself against.
MARYLAND LEGISLATURE PASSES MEDICAL COLLECTION BILLS
- The Maryland Senate and House of Representatives each have voted unanimously to approve their own versions of a bill that affect how medical debts are collected, but opponents of the measure were able to get a key provision removed from the bills that would have established a threshold for which collection lawsuits could be filed.
LEGISLATION PROPOSED TO USE CRA TO REPEAL OCC’S ‘TRUE LENDER’ RULE
- In a sign of what may be to come, two members of Congress have announced plans to use the Congressional Review Act to repeal the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency’s “True Lender” rule, which was put into effect to help facilitate the sale of loans and portfolios from banks to debt buyers, among other groups. Sen. Chris Van Hollen [D-Md.], Sen. Sherrod Brown ]D-Ohio], and Rep. Chuy Garcia [D-Ill.] announced their plans yesterday, seeking to overturn the rule because it “allows predatory lenders to skirt state laws meant to curb interest rates on loans and opens the doors for these lenders to prey on vulnerable consumers.”
VOAPPS ANNOUNCES THE HIRING OF RON ELGIN AS VICE PRESIDENT OF SALES
- VoApps, a technology leader in the contact and communications industry, is excited to announce the hiring of Ron Elgin as its new Vice President of Sales.
VERIFACTS DONATES TO YWCA’S DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROGRAM
- VeriFacts supports YWCA Sauk Valley’s efforts to provide transitional housing facilities and support services to local victims of domestic violence. Our team has already collected and delivered two truckloads of kitchen supplies, bedding, and various household items to our local YWCA and will continue to accept donations throughout the month. These donations will help fill the immediate needs of families making the transition from a shelter to safe, affordable housing in our community.
WORTH NOTING: Great “behind the scenes” movie facts … Another great TV grandparent death … Proof that there are plenty of good people in the world … A lot of people want to keep working from home once the pandemic is over … It’s likely going to start taking longer for mail to be delivered … Why used car prices are going up … The gear you need for a home tool kit … The ship blocking the Suez canal is delaying $400 million worth of goods being shipped every hour.
How to spring clean your closet
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.