JUDGE GRANTS MTD IN FDCPA CASE OVER LIST OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT LETTER
- In a case that was defended by Rick Perr and the team at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck, a District Court judge in New York has granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss after it was sued in a class action for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act in a number of ways relative to collection letters that were sent.
APPEALS COURT AFFIRMS RULING THAT INSURANCE COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE TO DEFEND CUSTOMER IN FDCPA, TCPA SUIT
- The Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit has upheld a lower court’s ruling that an insurer did not have a duty to defend a mortgage servicing company that was sued for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, ruling that the assertions made by the plaintiff in her complaint were subject to the exclusions listed in the defendant’s insurance policy.
FEWER AMERICANS PLANNING TO USE TAX REFUNDS TO PAY DOWN DEBT THIS YEAR: SURVEY
- Fewer people plan to use their income tax returns this year to pay down debt or catch up on bills and will instead put that money away for a rainy day or make a big purchase like a car or house, according to the results of a survey released by NerdWallet. But people better get moving, because a lot fewer people have filed their 2020 tax returns, compared with how many had filed at this point a year ago.
DCM SERVICES LAUNCHES MAJOR UPGRADE TO PROBATE FINDER
- DCM Services, LLC (“DCMS”) and its sister company, Forte, LLC, the industry leaders in data and contact management solutions for the estate and specialty receivables recovery market, celebrate the launch of a major upgrade to the Probate Finder OnDemand application.
READ EXPERT PERSPECTIVES ON TRENDING COMPLIANCE TOPICS
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from eight different compliance experts — Mitch Williamson, Joann Needleman, Amanda Payton, Patrick Newman, Jonathan Robbin, Larry Laskey, Rick Perr, and Cooper Walker — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: Stimulus check deposits have started showing up in bank accounts … Anytime a headline starts with “Florida man” or “Florida woman” you know it’s going to be weird … A bank went way overboard in making sure that a customer received a replacement debit card … Six ways to persuade a customer to do what you want … The debate over whether to charge your phones when you’re sleeping … The silver lining of Netflix cracking down on password sharing … Breaking down last night’s Grammy awards … Everything you wanted to know about standing desks … Looking back on the career of Drew Brees, who retired yesterday.
How to think smarter about failure
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.