FTC ANNOUNCES NEW CRACKDOWN ON ABUSIVE COLLECTION PRACTICES
- The Federal Trade Commission yesterday announced the launch of Operation Corrupt Collector, a “crackdown” on collection operations that engage in abusive or harassing practices while also attempting to collect on debts that do not exist.
STATE AGS FILE SUITS AGAINST ALLEGED SCAMMERS
- The Attorney General of Indiana yesterday announced he had filed a lawsuit against a collection agency, accusing it of engaging in deceptive and abusive collection practices and operating without a proper license.
- The Attorney General of Ohio has announced the filing of a lawsuit against a collection agency, accusing it of attempting to collect on debts that have been discharged in bankruptcy or those that do not exist at all, and doing so by making threats and contacting family members and co-workers of the individuals from whom it is trying to collect.
- The Attorney General of Arizona has launched a lawsuit against a collection operation that allegedly impersonated law enforcement officials and using intimidation tactics to try and collect non-existent debts.
JUDGE GRANTS MTD IN FDCPA CASE OVER THIRD PARTY WITH SAME NAME OPENING SUMMONS
- A District Court judge in North Carolina has granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss after it was sued for allegedly violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, ruling that it can not be held liable if someone else with the same name, living at the same address, opened a summons and complaint that was addressed to the plaintiff.
FCC ADOPTS RULE TO COMBAT CALL SPOOFING
- The Federal Communications Commission yesterday announced the adoption of a number of new rules aimed at getting voice service providers to have STIR/SHAKEN protocols ready by the agency’s deadline of June 30, 2021, while also prohibiting those providers from adding line-item charges to customers’ bills for the caller ID technology.
WORTH NOTING: Working moms — and stay-at-home ones, too, I’m sure — are reaching their breaking points … A Colombian woman who was missing for two years has been found at sea … Anyone names Orlando can fly for free to Orlando on Frontier Airlines in October … Disney is laying off a whole mess of employees … Read this first if you are thinking of relocating because you can work from anywhere now … Books you need to read this Fall … I love reading how a watch that costs $185,000 can be called “understated” … Did we really need a law against this?
Trying to open a bottle with a knife
We all need this after last night
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.