MASSACHUSETTS ISSUES FAQ TO HELP WITH EMERGENCY COLLECTION REGULATIONS
- The Office of the Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has issued additional guidance and answers to some Frequently Asked Questions following the enactment of a series of emergency regulations related to debt collection that were put into place because of the coronavirus pandemic.
APPEALS COURT OVERTURNS FDCPA CASE OVER CREDITOR NAME IN LETTER
- The Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has overturned a lower court’s ruling in favor of a defendant that was sued for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act because a letter that was sent to the plaintiff did not properly identify the creditor to whom the debt is owed.
N.Y. LEGISLATOR SAYS HE HAS INTRODUCED BILL TO BAN COLLECTIONS DURING CORONAVIRUS
- A member of the New York Assembly has come out and said he has introduced a bill that would ban collection agencies from contacting individuals for 90 days.
SUPREME COURT POSTPONES APRIL HEARINGS, INCLUDING KEY TCPA CASE
- The Supreme Court on Friday announced that it was postponing hearing arguments for the month of April as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, a decision which delays the outcome in a closely watched Telephone Consumer Protection Act lawsuit.
COMPLIANCE DIGEST – EXPERT ANALYSIS ON RECENT CASES
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from 10 different compliance experts — Dennis Barton, Ethan Ostroff, Laurie Nelson, Mike Frost, Aylix Jensen, Joann Needleman, Michael Klutho, Boyd Gentry, Mitch Williamson, and Lauren Burnette — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: How members of Congress are handling working remotely … Why are people being so stupid during this crisis? … A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for coronavirus … Inside the bunkers where the rich are hunkered down … How millennials are handling their first financial crisis … Answering your money questions … How and why to send gifts during coronavirus … Nearly one-third of the U.S. economy has been shut down because of COVID-19 … We’re facing our “Pearl Harbor” moment, according to the Surgeon General … Of course hurricanes are going to be worse this year, because 2020 is awesome.
The pros and cons of self-driving cars
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.