JUDGE TOSSES $2.5 MILLION JURY AWARD FOR COLLECTION AGENCIES AGAINST LEXINGTON LAW
- A District Court judge in Texas has tossed a $2.5 million jury award in favor of two collection agencies that sued Lexington Law Group, saying that the evidence put forth was “legally insufficient” to support the jury determining that the defendants engaged in fraud by “preying on financially troubled consumers by drafting, signing, and mailing frivolous dispute correspondences.”
GOOGLE ROLLS OUT AUTOMATIC CALL SCREENING TO MORE DEVICES
- Google has announced that it is expanding its Automatic Call Screening technology to all Pixel phone users, including those that are using older models.
SENATORS BEHIND TRACED ACT WANT JUSTICE DEPT. TO START WORKING ON INTERAGENCY WORKING GROUP
- Two of the Senators behind the TRACED Act have sent a letter to the Attorney General, asking the Justice Department to get cracking on forming an interagency working group that will help better prosecute and deter illegal robocalls.
APPEALS COURT RULES STUDENT LOAN GUARANTOR NOT COLLECTOR UNDER FDCPA, EVEN WHEN TRYING TO COLLECT ON NON-EXISTENT DEBT
- The Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals has affirmed a lower court’s decision that the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Authority, a guarantor of student loans, does not meet the definition of debt collector under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act after it was accused of collecting debts from the wrong individual.
EXPERTS DISH ON TRENDING COMPLIANCE ISSUES
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from seven different compliance experts — David Kaminski, Judd Peak, Mitch Williamson, Lauren Burnette, Dennis Barton, Virginia Bell Flynn, and Boyd Gentry — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: A plane flying from London to New York set a new record … And a wind gust in California may also have set a new record … The best, worst, and most chaotic moments from last night’s Oscars, the history made by the Best Picture winner and a look inside the Oscars gift bag … Who spends the most on Valentine’s Day … Three things you can do to improve your financial situation … A day in the life of a New York sanitation worker, a job my father-in-law had for two decades … Americans are not as good at tipping as they think they are …
Secrets to get people to say yes
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.