APPEALS COURT OVERTURNS DISMISSAL IN WHISTLEBLOWER LAWSUIT FILED AGAINST COLLECTION OPERATION
- The Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit has overturned a lower court’s dismissal of a whistleblower lawsuit filed against a collection agency that was accused of writing off bad debts owed to Medicare without undergoing reasonable collection efforts, while affirming the dismissal in favor of the healthcare provider and the billing company that were also sued.
JUDGE GRANTS MTD IN FDCPA CLASS-ACTION OVER BALANCE, CHECK PROCESSING DISCLOSURES
- A District Court judge in New Jersey has granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act class-action lawsuit, ruling that disclosures related to check processing and the balance that was due did not violate the statute.
CAC LAUNCHES LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN TO SHOW OPPOSITION TO SB 1477
- The California Association of Collectors has started a grassroots effort to get participants in the accounts receivable management industry to share their feelings about a bill being considered in the state legislature that would protect more of consumers’ assets from garnishments and judgments. The CAC is asking those opposed to such measures to send letters to members of California legislature. A draft letter has been created and can be used by clicking here.
EXPERTS SHARE CONTEXT ON CASES IMPACTING ARM INDUSTRY
- Understanding the context and consequences of court rulings can be difficult. Thankfully, there are experts out there that can do it for us. Rick Perr, Brit Suttell, Patrick Newman, Mike Frost, and David Kaminski break down the ins and outs of cases impacting the ARM industry in this week’s Compliance Digest, which is brought to you by Bedard Law Group.
JOIN YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS AT NORTHEAST DEBT COLLECTION EXPO 2022
- The Northeast Debt Collection Conference is set to return to Caesar’s in Atlantic City, New Jersey on September 18-20. More details here.
WORTH NOTING: “Smart” ways to stay productive and connected when working remotely … Do you really need to give two weeks’ notice when quitting your job? … Apps to help you save money on back-to-school shopping … How to get through an unexpected layoff without settling for a job you hate … How to make sure your private messages stay private … You might start hearing more about people who are “quiet quitting” … What you need to do if you really want to be rich, says Mark Cuban … Despite inflation, people have no problem paying for premium items.
Etiquette expert on return-to-office manners
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.