COMPLAINT ACCUSES COLLECTOR OF COLLECTING ON SETTLED DEBT
- A lawsuit has been filed in federal court in New Jersey accusing a collector of violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for leaving a voicemail and then not subsequently sending a written validation notice even though the message appears to have been a limited-content message and for furnishing information to a credit reporting agency without first informing or attempting to inform the plaintiff — all for a debt that had previously been settled with the creditor. This content is sponsored by WebRecon.
SKIPTRACER SENTENCED TO PRISON FOR USING UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE APPLICATIONS TO OBTAIN POE
- A skiptracer that worked as part of a ring that obtained place-of-employment information about individuals with unpaid debts by pretending to be the debtors and created thousands of unemployment insurance applications to learn their last know place of employment has been sentenced to 45 months in prison following a five-day trial.
CFPB WARNS COMPANIES ABOUT ‘SHODDY’ DATA SECURITY
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau unequivocally announced yesterday that companies with “insufficient data protection or information security” are violating federal law while providing examples of “widely implemented data security practices” that companies can use as a guide to avoid such an accusation.
STUDENT LOAN DEBT COLLECTION SYSTEM DRIVING PEOPLE INTO ‘DEEPER HOLE’, SAYS ED. DEPT. OFFICIAL
- The only good thing that happens when an individual defaults on his or her student loan is that debt collectors make money, according to an Undersecretary at the Department of Education who was speaking during a virtual panel discussion earlier this week.
VANTAGESCORE TAKES STEPS TO FURTHER SUPPORT CONSUMERS AFFECTED BY MEDICAL DEBT COLLECTIONS
- VantageScore has made the decision that neither of its most recently introduced scoring models (VantageScore 3.0 and 4.0) will continue to use medical collection accounts in the calculation of consumers’ credit scores, regardless of the amount owed or the age of the collection.
WORTH NOTING: Experts weigh in on what you should do if you are ever the victim of a ransomware attack … Go ahead and buy that thing your partner doesn’t know about, because research says it might bring the two of you closer together … Inflation survival tips from Dave Ramsey … Tips to help you spot possibly fake Amazon reviews … A list of the most regretted baby names … The age of social distancing is over, according to the CDC … The USPS is temporarily going to raise its rates during the holidays … When mental exertion triggers exhaustion.
Funny Friday, part I
Funny Friday, part II (NSFW language)
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.