APPEALS COURT UPHOLDS DISMISSAL OF FDCPA SUIT WHILE TACKLING ISSUES WITH ‘LEAST SOPHISTICATED CONSUMER’ STANDARD
- The Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit has upheld the dismissal of a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act case, ruling that an alleged false or misleading communication must be material in order to be considered a violation of the statute, but also took a deep dive on the different definitions that have been created by courts related to the “least sophisticated consumer” and a “reasonable consumer” that make this opinion worth the read.
WASH. AG AMENDS LAWSUIT TO ACCUSE COLLECTION AGENCIES OF FAILING TO PROVIDE CERTAIN DISCLOSURES
- Months after filing a lawsuit accusing a hospital network of “aggressively” seeking to collect $70 million from individuals who were eligible for charity care, the Attorney General of Washington has expanded his lawsuit to include a pair of collection agencies that allegedly failed to inform individuals about their eligibility. The hospital network reportedly referred more than 54,000 accounts of low-income patients to third-party agencies, which had a total of $470 million in unpaid debts.
21 COMPANIES SEEKING COLLECTION TALENT
- During this, The Great Resignation Era, I thought it would be helpful to start a regular posting of different jobs within the accounts receivable management industry that I have found online. Please make sure to do your own due diligence before applying for a position included here or accepting any offers. This is merely meant to be a service to aggregate industry job opportunities into one convenient location. If you are hiring, I encourage you to post your listing on the AccountsRecovery.net jobs board (it’s free).
CALIF. APPEALS COURT AFFIRMS DENIAL OF DEFENDANT’S ANTI-SLAPP MOTION IN FDCPA CASE
- A California Appeals Court has affirmed the denial of an anti-SLAPP motion filed by a defendant being sued for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for allegedly making false representations in an underlying collection lawsuit.
ENCORE CEO ASHISH MASIH REAPPOINTED TO U.S.-INDIA CEO FORUM
- Encore Capital Group, Inc., an international specialty finance company, today announced that its President and CEO, Ashish Masih, has been reappointed by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo to the U.S.-India CEO Forum.
WORTH NOTING: More tips to help you stay cool without air conditioning … If you can eat this many ghost peppers in one minute, the world record is yours … Now that it is back in the news, here is a look inside Mar-a-Lago … Quick games to get you through your next break … Cities around the world where you can live on less than $1,000 a month … Why watching kids play baseball is often more enjoyable than watching the pros … Thing that people who hit their fitness goals have in common, according to one expert … A pair of affordable islands are for sale, in Pennsylvania.
How long you should stay at your job
Movie Clip Wednesday
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.