APPEALS COURT UPHOLDS RULING FOR PLAINTIFF IN FDCPA CASE OVER GARNISHMENT JURISDICTION
- The Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit has affirmed a lower court’s ruling in favor of a plaintiff who accused a collection law firm of violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act by obtaining a writ of garnishment in the wrong jurisdiction.
NEW VIDEO SERIES LAUNCHED; DEBUT EPISODE TACKLES WHITE HOUSE’S BULLETIN ON MEDICAL DEBTS
- Everyday, there are legal rulings, compliance bulletins, bills that become law, and other updates released by regulators and lawmakers. Those updates often detail what can and can’t be done, but rarely do they provide the how. Companies in the accounts receivable management industry are often left to their own devices to determine what they need to do — if anything — to comply with the myriad of new rules and regulations that are being issued more frequently than ever before, it seems. To that end, AccountsRecovery.net is excited to launch a new feature, called “The Narrative.”
CFPB GETS BAN FOR DEBT RELIEF CO. CEO AS PART OF ENFORCEMENT ACTION SETTLEMENT
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has filed a proposed order seeking to bring an end to an enforcement action against a pair of debt relief companies and their owner, which would ban the owner from the debt relief industry for five years and require him to pay a $30,000 fine, and permanently ban one of the companies from ever offering debt relief services again. The defendants were accused of collecting more than $10 million in unlawful fees from consumers.
LAWSUIT TOTALS SPIKE IN MARCH: WEBRECON
- The number of lawsuits alleging violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act all increased in March, compared with a month earlier, each growing by more than double-digit percentages, according to data released by WebRecon.
EXPERTS SHARE CONTEXT ON CASES IMPACTING ARM INDUSTRY
- Understanding the context and consequences of court rulings can be difficult. Thankfully, there are experts out there that can do it for us. Rick Perr, Stefanie Jackman, Carlos Ortiz, and Patrick Newman break down the ins and outs of cases impacting the ARM industry in this week’s Compliance Digest, which is brought to you by Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: Mother’s Day gifts that last longer than flowers and chocolate … People are showing signs of hitting their financial breaking points … How to figure out if you can afford that new home you want … Why Chick-fil-A employees never say “you’re welcome” … Would you walk this 2,000-foot glass bridge? … Seven things you are wasting your money on … Foreclosure filings are up by more than 130% from a year ago … A look ahead to my favorite time of year, the NHL playoffs.
Your career path does not have to follow a straight line
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.