JUDGE GRANTS MTD IN FDCPA CASE OVER SETTLEMENT OFFER IN LETTER
- Have you ever heard the phrase, “Never look a gift horse in the mouth?” If you had owed someone more than $3,500 and were sent two letters offering you the opportunity to settle that debt for 25% of what you owed, would you take the deal? Or would you turn around and sue the company that sent you the letters? You can likely guess which option the consumer in this situation chose, only to have a District Court judge from New York grant the defendant’s motion to dismiss.
FED DATA ANALYZES DEBT PATTERNS BY RACE, GENDER, EDUCATION
- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York has published data that can help collectors better understand the people from whom they are trying to collect, by analyzing demographic data to understand what types of people are more likely to take on debt or which types of people are more likely to struggle to pay off their debts.
REPORT WARNS OF ‘CRISIS’ AMOUNT OF UNPAID UTILITY DEBTS
- I wasn’t initially going to write something about this report, but it was the last line of the press release that changed my mind. The National Consumer Law Center has published a report detailing a “crisis” in Massachusetts due to the amount of unpaid utility debt owed by individuals and households, and that “urgent action is needed to keep the heat on” this winter. I’ve written about the growing amount of unpaid utility debt in the past and some of the measures that are being taken to address it, but what made me decide to write about this particular report was the last recommendation made by the NCLC:
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE OFFERED BY HOSPITALS CONTINUED DRAMATIC RISE IN 2021
- The number of patients receiving information about financial assistance options that may be available to them continued to grow in 2021, according to data released recently by TransUnion Healthcare, and has increased by 270% since it started tracking the data just three years ago.
FFAM360 EARNS RECOGNITION AS GREAT PLACE TO WORK
- The First Financial Asset Management (FFAM360) family of companies, a world-class organization providing revenue-centric solutions to specifically address all phases of the credit and revenue lifecycle, recently earned recognition as a 2021-2022 Great Place to Work-Certified™ business by Great Place to Work®.
WORTH NOTING: Combine comedy with wildlife and it’s bound to brighten anyone’s day … The least and most reliable cars, according to Consumer Reports … There is only one state left where gas is less than $3 a gallon. Can you name it before clicking on this link? … Couldn’t they have thought of a better name for the longest dinosaur ever? … Rep. Kevin McCarthy set a new record yesterday for the longest speech in the House of Representatives … How to network without being annoying … How employers can manage the burnout epidemic … The best early Black Friday deals on electronics … The one demographic that is driving The Great Resignation.
Have the courage to stand alone
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.