JUDGE GRANTS MSJ FOR DEFENDANT IN FDCPA CASE OVER MISSTATED DEBT AMOUNT IN LETTER
- After defaulting on a credit card debt, having a judgment issued against you, and then receiving four more collection letters seeking to collect on a debt, is there anyone who thinks that the next letter is going to induce an individual to repay the debt? But because the balance was lower in that next letter, the individual sued the collection law firm attempting to collect for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Fortunately, for the collector, a District Court judge granted its motion for summary judgment, ruling the plaintiff lacked standing because as she mentioned during her deposition testimony, she “had no intention of attempting to pay the debt because she did not have the means to do so.”
FACEBOOK LAUNCHES COMMERCIAL DEBT COLLECTION PROGRAM. IS CONSUMER COLLECTIONS NEXT?
- Facebook announced last week a new plan that it will launch in October to help small businesses collect on unpaid invoices, perhaps setting up an eventual entry into consumer debt collections as well.
BIDEN NOMINATES NEW FTC COMMISSIONER, FREEING CHOPRA TO LEAD FTC
- President Joe Biden yesterday nominated Alvaro Bedoya to be a commissioner on the Federal Trade Commission, which should finally pave the way for Rohit Chopra to be able to leave the FTC to become the next director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
APPEALS COURT REVERSES RULING IN FCRA SUIT OVER MIS-REPORTED DEBT
- The Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit has reversed a lower court’s summary judgment ruling in favor of a defendant, determining that the defendant willfully and knowingly violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act by continuing to report an unpaid debt as delinquent for a year after it had been charged off as part of a bankruptcy filing.
TRANSUNION ACQUIRES NEUSTAR FOR $3.1B
- TransUnion has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Neustar, a premier identity resolution company with leading solutions in Marketing, Fraud and Communications, from a private investment group led by Golden Gate Capital and with minority participation by GIC. The acquisition expands TransUnion’s powerful digital identity capabilities through the addition of Neustar’s distinctive data and analytics, enabling consumers and businesses to transact online with greater confidence.
WORTH NOTING: Get paid to watch scary movies this Halloween … The debate over COVID-19 booster shots deepens … Why millions of Americans are leaving their jobs … The jobs that are going to be in high demand during the next decade … What to expect at Apple’s event today … What’s the hype over this water bottle? … Help getting those stubborn stains out of your clothes … What is the future of air travel?
How to stop screwing yourself over
Telling a good story
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.