JUDGE GRANTS MSJ FOR DEFENSE IN FDCPA CASE OVER WEBSITE DISCLOSURE
- Sometimes, collectors will use a broad brush and expansive statements to try and cover as much ground as possible when letting consumers know about the rules and regulations related to collecting on unpaid debts. Those statements do not specifically violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ruled a District Court judge in Illinois, who granted a defendant’s motion for summary judgment in a case that was defended by David Schultz and the team at Hinshaw & Culbertson.
COLO. AG REACHES $3M SETTLEMENT WITH AUTO LENDER OVER ORIGINATION, COLLECTION ISSUES
- The Attorney General of Colorado has reached a settlement with one of the nation’s largest subprime auto lenders that will see the company pay more than $3 million in consumer relief while also requiring it to amend its origination and collection practices, including not requiring consumers to make payments through methods that require consumers to pay additional third-party fees, such as money orders.
REPORT TIES MEDICAL DEBT TO BK FILINGS
- Offering a “microcosm” of the “national problem” of the financial issues caused by illness and injuries leading to individuals being forced to file for bankruptcy protection, a state consumer advocacy group has published a report detailing that 60% of bankruptcy filings included some form of medical debt.
NEW PLATFORM OFFERS ‘INNOVATIVE’ OPTIONS TO REPAY DEBTS
- Seeking to offer consumers more ways to settle their unpaid debts, a husband and wife team from Wisconsin have launched a new platform that was recently profiled in a media publication.
HOW EXPERTS ARE INTERPRETING LATEST LEGAL RULINGS
- Each week, AccountsRecovery.net publishes summaries of legal rulings that are impacting the accounts receivable management industry. But those summaries don’t necessarily provide insight into what you need to do — if anything — as a result of those rulings. For that, I turn to the experts. Every week, the top legal minds of the industry weigh in on those rulings, providing much-needed context and insight to help you better understand the rulings and be better informed when making important decisions. This week, David Kaminski, David Schultz, Aylix Jensen, Patrick Newman, Xerxes Martin, Carlos Ortiz, Virginia Bell Flynn, and Chuck Dodge share their wisdom with you. This series is sponsored by Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: How to get the most when receiving feedback … An employee at a Subway says she was suspended after fighting off a robber … All the hidden ways that 9/11 influenced pop culture … Have you been opening your ketchup packets all wrong? … Businesses react to the vaccine mandate from President Biden … Escaped zebras are on the loose in Maryland … Things making the American consumer more miserable … Where the most cars are being stolen as thefts are on the rise.
The secret features of “The Beast”
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.