APPEALS COURT REVERSES LOWER COURT RULING, AFFIRMS AVILA DISCLOSURE NOT REQUIRED WHEN MAKING SETTLEMENT OFFER
- The Second Circuit Court of Appeals has overturned a lower court’s decision and remanded a case back to a District Court judge to enter judgment in favor of a defendant in a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act case, ruling that the defendant did not have to notify the plaintiff that the balance owed may be increasing due to interest and fees when making a settlement offer in a collection letter.
TSI CONTINUES ACQUISITION SPREE, BUYS ACCOUNT CONTROL TECHNOLOGY
- Transworld Systems Inc. (TSI) continued its acquisition binge last week, announcing on Friday evening that it had closed on its purchase of Account Control Technology Holdings, which had 20 offices and nearly 4,000 employees at one time. While terms of the deal were not disclosed, sources estimated that TSI paid between $140 million and $150 million to buy ACT.
NEVADA GOV. SIGNS HEALTHCARE COLLECTION BILL IN TO LAW
- The governor of Nevada has signed a bill into law that will affect how medical debts are collected in the state. The new law goes into effect on July 1.
FINANCIAL BARRIERS ERODING PATIENT TRUST IN HEALTHCARE SYSTEM: SURVEY
- A large disconnect remains between healthcare providers and patients when it comes to the financial side of their relationship, according to the results of a recently released survey, which details how providers can do a better job of meeting their patients’ expectations before, during, and after visits to a doctor’s office or hospital.
READ EXPERT PERSPECTIVES ON TRENDING COMPLIANCE TOPICS
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from eight different compliance experts — David Kaminski, Lauren Burnette, Sarah DeMoss, Virginia Bell Flynn, Helen Mac Murray, Stefanie Jackman, Stacy Rodriguez, and Patrick Newman — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: A look at the states ending additional benefits for unemployed workers, with some canceling them starting this week … A woman impersonated a middle school student to prove a point about school shootings … Aliens have a new incentive to come visit Earth — free Oreos … Seven ways you may be a bad example for your employees … Ways to lower your air conditioning bill this summer … Rage quitting isn’t just for video games anymore … Tips to send — and receive — better text messages … A summer reading list.
Tips to help you improve your vocabulary
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.