MORE ON HUNSTEIN; EN BANC LIKELIHOOD, WEBINAR RECORDING
- The defendant in a case ruled on last week by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals which determined that sending a consumer’s personal information to a letter vendor constituted a communication under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act has a 50-50 shot of getting the entire panel of judges from the Eleventh Circuit to re-hear the case, should it choose to seek an en banc hearing.
JUDGE GRANTS MTD IN FDCPA CASE OVER TRANSACTION FEE
- A District Court judge in Ohio has granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss a class-action lawsuit alleging it violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act by informing the recipient of a collection letter than payments made using a debit or credit card would be subject to a 3% transaction fee.
CONGRESS SEEKS TO RESTORE POWER TO FTC TAKEN AWAY BY SUPREME COURT
- Democrats in Congress are moving fast to restore the Federal Trade Commission’s ability to seek monetary redress in court, following a unanimous Supreme Court ruling last week that determined Congress did not intend to give the regulator the power to seek injunctions.
SHORT COMMENT PERIOD ON RULE REQUIRING EVICTION DISCLOSURES OPENS
- The short comment period on an interim final rule from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau seeking to amend the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to require collectors to provide tenants written notice of their rights prior to an eviction has started, and will remain open for the next 11 days. Interested parties can submit comments electronically by clicking here.
READ EXPERT PERSPECTIVES ON TRENDING COMPLIANCE TOPICS
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from six different compliance experts — Rick Perr, Lauren Burnette, Loraine Lyons, Patrick Newman, Sarah DeMoss, and Virginia Bell Flynn — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: Will the agency that got this account please stand up? … Analyzing President Biden’s first 100 days in office … This is like getting a tattoo of characters in a foreign language that don’t translate into what you think it does … Americans are out buying new wardrobes … How much your parents make is a better predictor of your income than your college degree is … How your office is likely to be different once you go back to it … Being a late-night talk show host is a lot harder than it looks … Apps to help you edit photos on your phone.
Riddles to help boost your brainpower
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.