N.M. GOV. SIGNS MEDICAL DEBT COLLECTION BILL INTO LAW
- Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham of New Mexico signed 50 bills into law yesterday, including one that aims to protect low-income residents of the state from incurring medical debts by preventing healthcare providers from placing collection accounts or filing lawsuits against certain low-income individuals, according to a published report.
APPEALS COURT OVERTURNS RULING IN FCRA CASE
- Once a customer, always a customer, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled in reversing a lower court’s denial to compel arbitration in a Fair Credit Reporting Act case, determining that the defendant was not violating the law when it accessed a former customer’s credit report when he called about obtaining service from the defendant 18 months after he had canceled his contract.
CFPB ISSUES NPRM SEEKING TO HALT FORECLOSURES UNTIL 2022
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau yesterday issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) that would prohibit mortgage servicers from starting foreclosure proceedings until 2022 while also providing servicers with the ability to offer streamlined loan modification options to homeowners who have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
JUDGE DENIES MTD ON FDCPA CLAIMS OVER GARNISHMENT INFO SENT TO WRONG PERSON
- A District Court judge in Washington has partially granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss, but denied the motion related to claims the defendant allegedly violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act when it mistakenly sent two letters to the plaintiff informing him that a writ of garnishment had been entered against him, one of which was sent after the plaintiff had hired an attorney who instructed the defendant to cease communications.
BUSINESS AND STRATEGY LEADER CHRIS RUSSELL JOINS PLAZA SERVICES TEAM
- Plaza Services, LLC, a debt buyer in Atlanta, Ga., is pleased to announce the recent addition of Chris Russell as Director of Inventory Management. In this role, Mr. Russell will be responsible for the strategic analysis, placement, and oversight of network operations for receivables inventory.
WORTH NOTING: Someone took the term “fast food” a little too literally … Were people reserving the right to buy a car or tickets to a Foghat concert? … How to get employees ready to return to the office … McDonald’s is rolling out a new McFlurry flavor, which was announced on National Caramel Day … Tips to help couples manage their finances together … For those who like to use electric toothbrushes … Would you buy a home sight unseen? A lot of millennials would, under these circumstances … Get your answers soon, before they are all gone forever.
Myths you need to stop believing are real
A hack to cut onions
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.