JUDGE GRANTS MTD IN FDCPA CASE OVER SERVICE DURING PANDEMIC
- A District Court judge in Michigan has granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss after it was sued for allegedly violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act when the plaintiffs were served with a summons and complaint in a debt collection lawsuit because the process servers purportedly harassed them by serving them without wearing proper protection to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19.
JUDGE PARTIALLY DISMISSES FDCPA SUIT ON REMAND FROM APPEALS COURT
- A District Court judge in Maryland has partially granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss in a case that was remanded back to the court after a ruling from the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals last year determined that the court had erred in deciding when the one-year statute of limitations had stated running on potential violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
COLLECTOR UNDER INVESTIGATION FIGHTING SEIZURE OF $90K: REPORT
- Federal prosecutors who are investigating the owner of several debt collection companies that allegedly engaged in illegal collection activities are seeking the forfeiture of more than $90,000 that was seized from the owner’s home by armed agents last year, according to a published media report.
RMAI ADOPTS LATEST VERSION OF NATIONAL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
- The RMAI Certification Council announces the adoption of version 9.0 of the Receivables Management Certification Program (RMCP) after an eight-month development and review process.
READ EXPERT PERSPECTIVES ON TRENDING COMPLIANCE TOPICS
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from seven different compliance experts — Andrew Schwartz, Joann Needleman, Rick Perr, Xerxes Martin, Sarah DeMoss, Patrick Newman, and Mitch Williamson — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: An interesting question heading into next week’s RMA show: do we even know how to socialize anymore? … How to tell the difference between COVID-19, allergies, and post-vaccine symptoms … LinkedIn is giving employees the week off to help them avoid burning out … Sales tweaks to help you grow your business … What a $60 million mansion in Beverly Hills looks like on the inside … Emergency preparedness apps to keep on your phone … 50 of the funniest podcasts … How to finally stop procrastinating.
Re-train your brain for long-term thinking
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.