JUDGE GRANTS MSJ FOR DEFENDANT IN FDCPA CASE OVER CALL VOLUME, REVOCATION
- In a case that was defended by the team at Malone Frost Martin, a District Court judge in California has granted a defendant’s motion for summary judgment after it was sued for allegedly violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act after it was accused of making too many calls to the plaintiff and continuing to call after consent had been revoked, ruling the calling pattern was not harassing or abusive and the revocation of consent was likely never heard by the collector.
PERFORMANT SELLS SOME RECOVERY CONTRACTS, WILL FOCUS ON HEALTHCARE GOING FORWARD
- Performant Financial Corp. announced yesterday that it has sold some of its recovery contracts that are outside the healthcare industry, including its student loan agreements, to an unnamed buyer as part of the company’s decision to “fully dedicate” its resources to its healthcare business.
NINTH CIRCUIT VACATES AWARD OF $105K IN PLAINTIFF’S ATTORNEY FEES IN FDCPA CASE
- The Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has vacated an award of more than $105,000 in attorney’s fees to the lawyers representing the plaintiffs in a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act case, ruling that the District Court did not “adequately” account for the degree of success obtained when determining the award.
CDC EXTENDS EVICTION BAN; CFPB & FTC ACTING DIRECTORS VOW CRACKDOWN
- On the day that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention extended an eviction moratorium until June 30, the acting directors of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission issued a joint statement saying that they will use the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to ensure that tenants are not subjected to illegal practices “that displace families and expose them — and by extension all of us — to grave health risks.”
CROWN ASSET MANAGEMENT ANNOUNCES THE ADDITION OF LISA VEE AS DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
- Crown Asset Management, LLC (CAM), a professional receivables management firm located in Duluth, GA, announces the recent hire of Lisa Vee as Director of Operations.
WORTH NOTING: Scientists are getting closer to redefining the length of a second … If you’re on the run, add “start a cooking show on YouTube” to the list of things not to do … Lifeguards in Los Angeles are making a lot of money … The hybrid office is here to stay … $1.4 billion of student loan debt owed by borrowers with disabilities has been canceled … Stories of just how hot the housing market is right now … What is worth streaming in April … If you found $42,000 in a donated sweater, would you return it?
Why every map of the world is wrong
How to use Slack like a pro. (and then sign up for the AccountsRecovery.net Slack channel)
The Daily Digest is sponsored by TCN. Today, contact centers need to do more with less. TCN’s cloud-based predictive dialing tools and services help clients to leverage the most sophisticated inbound, outbound, and blended calling technologies available. TCN’s award-winning platform offers multiple features to assist in compliance while improving performance with no hardware, no monthly minimums, or maintenance fees. Call 866-745-1900 or visit tcn.com today.