JUDGE GRANTS MTD IN STUDENT LOAN COLLECTION CASE
- A District Court judge in Connecticut has granted a motion to dismiss filed by a collection agency, a student loan servicer, and the plaintiff’s employer for allegedly violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act by attempting to garnish the plaintiff’s wages, because the statute of limitations on filing a claim had passed when the lawsuit was filed.
UNLICENSED DEBT COLLECTOR ARRESTED IN NORTH CAROLINA
- A year after he was sued by the Attorney General of North Carolina for collecting on debts without the proper license, Gordon Scott Engle has been arrested and charged with 81 counts of failing to secure a permit from the state’s Department of Insurance, which regulates and licenses debt collectors in the Tarheel State.
DANISH BANK ADMITS KNOWLEDGE OF ‘FLAWS’ IN DEBT COLLECTION OPERATION
- A Danish bank is finding itself in hot water today after admitting it had known “for years” that technology problems with its systems were causing it to collect outdated or excessive amounts from its customers and never did anything to address the problem.
NABIL FOSTER JOINS BARRON & NEWBURGER
- Nabil G. Foster, a talented and distinguished financial services counsel, has joined Barron & Newburger as a shareholder in the firm’s new Illinois office. Nabil will join the firm’s Consumer Financial Services Law Group, focusing on financial services litigation including class action and regulatory defense and compliance for regulated entities.
READ EXPERT PERSPECTIVES ON TRENDING COMPLIANCE TOPICS
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from five different compliance experts — Joann Needleman, Michael Klutho, Rick Perr, Lauren Burnette, and Dennis Barton — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: Redesigning the office to maximize health … San Francisco is voting in November to lower the voting age in local elections … How restaurants are preparing for colder weather as indoor dining options are still limited … For anyone who ever wanted to stay in the Fresh Prince’s mansion in Bel Air … Things learned during Week 1 of the NFL Season, including the Detroit Lions still know how to disappoint their fans … President Trump said he is “entitled” to a third term in office … The safest ways to log into your computer … Opa locka, Florida, has ended its ban against low-riding jeans …
How to properly unclog a toilet
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.