APPEALS COURT UPHOLDS DISMISSAL OF FDCPA SUIT OVER REPORTING MULTIPLE DEBTS SEPARATELY
- The Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit has upheld the dismissal of a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act case in which a collection agency was accused of engaging in unfair or unconscionable means of collecting on debts because it reported those debts separately to a consumer reporting agency that the plaintiffs argued should have been aggregated into one debt.
LENDER DISMISSES COLLECTION LAWSUITS, VOWS TO FILE FEWER AFTER PRACTICES QUESTIONED
- A consumer finance lender that caters to Latino immigrants has agreed to dismiss all pending collection lawsuits it has filed and committed to filing 60% fewer cases in the future after consumer advocates and journalists started asking the company questions about its collection practices.
APPEALS COURT VACATES DISMISSAL OF FDCPA SUIT, ONLY TO DISMISS IT FOR OTHER REASONS
- The Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit has vacated a lower court’s dismissal of a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act suit in which the plaintiff claims the defendant overshadowed the validation notice, but only because it wants the District Court to dismiss the charges because the plaintiff lacks subject matter jurisdiction and not because she failed to state a claim.
HHS FINES PROVIDER $1M FOR NOT ENCRYPTING DATA ON STOLEN LAPTOP
- A healthcare provider in Rhode Island has agreed to pay a fine of more than $1 million for alleged violations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) after an employee’s laptop computer was stolen and the protected health information (PHI) of more than 20,000 individuals was compromised.
SPIRE RECOVERY SOLUTIONS EARNS SOC 1 TYPE 1 CERTIFICATION
- Spire Recovery Solutions, a professional, nationally licensed full-service debt collection agency, announces the successful completion of the extensive Service Organization Control (SOC) 1 Type 1 audit from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
WORTH NOTING: Maine has suffered its first great white shark fatality ever … Today is National Chicken Wing Day … How you can cut your grocery bill as food prices increase … A calculator to tell you how much you will receive if the HEALS Act moves forward … A lot of people who are unemployed may need to find new careers … A record number of people are calling out sick from work … How to plan and cook family meals while in lockdown … Dr. Fauci has a dire warning for the Major League Baseball season … The video camera that recorded the Rodney King riots is up for auction.
Why estate planning is important during a pandemic
How to escape if you’re ever locked in a trunk
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.