JUDGE DENIES MTD IN FDCPA CASE OVER IMPLIED LITIGATION THREAT IN LETTER
- At what point does language in a collection letter become a threat of litigation and possible violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. That is a moving target that is changing in courtrooms across the country. A District Court judge in Illinois has denied a defendant’s motion to dismiss after it was sued for violating the FDCPA by making a false threat of litigation in a collection letter even though the defendant argues that the letter essentially asks the individual to pay the outstanding balance, contact his or her attorney, or contact the collection agency.
OCC ISSUES PROPOSED RULE TO CLOSE GAP IN DEBT BUYING PROCESS
- The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency has issued a proposed rule that seeks to close a gap in the process of selling loans to third parties, which should further help the sale of portfolios in the debt buying market.
REPORT SPECULATES ABOUT IMPACT OF BIDEN PRESIDENCY ON COLLECTION, FINANCIAL MARKETS
- There has been no end to the number of jokes and memes referencing the dumpster fire that 2020 has been for the country and the world, and if this were any other presidential election year, the media and your political expert friends on Facebook would be pumping out content about the upcoming battle between President Trump and Vice President Biden. Slowly, though, we are starting to see more articles about the race and what impact it will have on the country.
R1 SELLS EMS RCM PLATFORM TO SARNOVA FOR $140M
- R1 RCM announced yesterday that it has sold its emergency medical service (EMS) revenue cycle management (RCM) business to Sarnova Holdings for $140 million.
NEUSTAR LAUNCHES SMARTTRACE AS INTELLIGENT SKIP TRACE ALTERNATIVE FOR DEBT COLLECTIONS
- Neustar Inc., a global information services and technology company and leader in identity resolution, has launched SmartTrace, a service that improves traditional skip tracing efforts used by first and third party collections agencies to reach unresponsive account holders. Neustar is hosting a webinar to offer an in-depth look at the new service on Wednesday, July 22, at 1 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
WORTH NOTING: The sticking points delaying a new coronavirus relief bill in Congress … The best backyard games that incorporate social distancing … A slowdown in hiring has led LinkedIn to lay off a lot of employees … Should you be worried about the amount of screen time your kids are having? … A quick tip to help you add up values in Excel … The new rules employees are seeing when they return to the office … Some advice if your marriage hit the rocks during the pandemic … For those who like to bake and want to get beyond the chocolate chip cookie … America’s best sports cities.
What you need to know about inflation
Pool noodle hacks
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.