COVID-19 LEADS N.Y. TO SCRAP COLLECTOR LICENSING: REPORT
- It appears as though a proposal in New York that would require debt collectors to be licensed will not be moving forward, likely due to the state’s efforts to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
JUDGE DENIES CERTIFICATION IN FDCPA SUIT
- A District Court judge in Ohio has denied a motion to certify a class in a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act case because the plaintiff’s father is a partner at the firm representing the class and because “extremely extensive individualized fact-finding” would be required to adequately identify the members of the class.
CFPB FINES PAYDAY LENDER $1.3M FOR UNFAIR COLLECTION TACTICS
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has assessed $1.3 million in fines and restitution to a payday and title lender for, among other infractions, calling third parties and disclosing the existence of delinquent debts and calling consumers at their places of employment after being told that the consumers could not receive calls at work.
COULD CALLS TO FREEZE REGULATORY AGENDA KILL CFPB’S PROPOSED DEBT COLLECTION RULE?
- The scenario where the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s release of the final debt collection rule is postponed until after the presidential election in November is becoming more possible by the day, which could threaten the release of the rule altogether, if the Democrats win the White House. A growing number of attorneys general and trade associations are asking the federal government to delay all non-coronavirus rulemakings for up to six months, which, if put into place today, would be 31 days before the presidential election on Nov. 3.
CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19 RESOURCE PAGE
- At last count, I had published about three dozen articles relating to the coronavirus. That is a lot of information. And, until now, it wasn’t really organized in any way, shape of form. To remedy that, I have taken all the articles and put them on one page. If you click here, you’ll see all of the articles that have been published, which will be updated daily.
WORTH NOTING: The government is trying to get its disbursement plans for individuals and small business up and running as soon as today … Uplifting photos of how people are battling through this crisis … The companies that are pledging not to lay off workers during the crisis … Chipotle is extending its National Burrito Day deal through today … The Cuomos are the bromance we all need … How a couple living in different countries spend time together … The employees of a grocery store that received a cash donation used the money to buy food for senior citizens … People searching for “good news” online is at an all-time high.
Mastering the skill of negotiation
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.