BONA FIDE ERROR DEFENSE NETS DEFENDANT MSJ IN FDCPA CASE
- A District Court judge in Wisconsin has granted summary judgment to a defendant in a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act case after the defendant invoked the bona fide error defense because it used a creditor-approved abbreviation to reference the name of a creditor in a collection letter.
DISASTER DECLARATION IN N.C. TRIGGERS 30-DAY DEFERRAL OF ‘DEBT PAYMENTS’
- The approval of a Major Disaster Declaration in North Carolina last week triggered the enactment of a series of provisions that reference collection agencies and a 30-day deferral for accepting payments.
COLLECTION AGENCY REGULATOR GROUP URGES AGENCIES TO PROACTIVELY WORK WITH CONSUMERS
- A trade group representing regulators of collection agencies has issued guidance, offering a roadmap to help state and federal agencies figure out what they should and should not allow when it comes to the topic of consumer and commercial debt collections, including allowing agencies to stay in contact with individuals during the coronavirus pandemic.
CFPB TASK FORCE SEEKING ANSWERS ABOUT REGULATIONS
- A task force created by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to examine consumer financial law has issued a Request for Information, seeking answers to two dozen questions about how well the financial markets are functioning for consumers.
COMPLIANCE DIGEST – EXPERT ANALYSIS ON RECENT CASES
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest. You’ll get insights and opinions from six different compliance experts — Virginia Bell Flynn, June Coleman, Helen Mac Murray, David Schultz, Brit Suttell, and Rick Perr — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else. The Compliance Digest is sponsored by The Bedard Law Group.
WORTH NOTING: President Trump extended the social distancing guidelines until the end of April … A father has banned his son from the house after he went on vacation for Spring Break … How to shop for groceries in the midst of coronavirus … The devastation of people affected by coronavirus dying alone … The cities and states that would be hit hardest by a recession caused by coronavirus … My wife’s sister is an EMT with the FDNY. This is scary … Things you can buy to make self-quarantine easier … Apps and tools to help you stave off cabin fever … Dr. Anthony Fauci has some grim predictions about how many people may die from coronavirus.
Secrets hidden in everyday things
Music Monday, self-quarantine edition
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.