GETTING TO KNOW PORTER HEATH MORGAN
- There is so much great information to unpack in this installment of the “Getting to Know” profile. For example, did you know that Porter Heath Morgan’s great-great-grandfather helped create the Federal Trade Commission? This fascinating pieces of information are the reason this series was started. Read on to learn more great information about Porter and his outstanding explanation for why this industry continues to succeed. This series is sponsored by TCN.
JUDGE GRANTS MSJ FOR DEFENSE IN COVENIENCE FEE CASE
- A District Court judge in Illinois has granted a defendant’s motion for summary judgment after it was sued for allegedly violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act because it charged a $3 service fee for payments made online via a debit or credit card.
COLLECTION AGENCY’S INSURANCE COMPANY SUED FOR ACTING IN BAD FAITH
- The plaintiffs who were awarded a $267 million judgment against a collection agency that was found guilty of violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act by making calls to individuals’ cell phones without their prior consent have now filed suit against the agency’s insurance company, alleging it acted in bad faith.
SUPREME COURT ASKED TO WEIGH IN ON TCPA CONSTITUTIONALITY
- A petition has been filed with the Supreme Court to determine whether an exemption in the Telephone Consumer Protection Act that allows for calls to be made using an automated telephone dialing system without obtaining prior consent when collecting on debts owed or guaranteed by the federal government are unconstitutional restrictions of free speech.
REPORT SPOTLIGHTS CONFUSION AFTER HEALTHCARE NETWORK CHANGES COLLECTION POLICIES
- A hospital network that announced changes to its collection practices following a published report that accused it of being too aggressive, especially when filing lawsuits for unpaid debts, is being asked to hold off on all collection efforts until its new policies are put into place.
WORTH NOTING: A ban on high-cost loans may be on the horizon … Do people really care that much about what Starbucks puts on the outside of its coffee cups? … A woman who lost her job because she flipped off the president just won an election in Virginia … People like spending money in the middle of the night … What you should do in place of year-end reviews, which are a waste of time and money … J.C. Penney has announced its Black Friday deals … A bank is going to offer higher interest rates for customers with “good behavior” … The worst movie breakups … Bill Gates’s five secrets to happiness.
An app to help keep your plants from dying
How to fall asleep fast
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.