JUDGE GRANTS MTD IN FDCPA CASE OVER AVILA DISCLOSURE IN COLLECTION LETTER
- A District Court judge in New York has granted a defendant’s motion to dismiss after it was sued for allegedly violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for a number of reasons, including saying in a collection letter than the balance owed “may” increase because of interest that was accruing when, in fact, the balance owed was increasing because of accruing interest.
SERVICER ASKS JUDGE TO RECONSIDER MTD IN CFPB CASE NOW THAT AGENCY ADMITS LEADERSHIP STRUCTURE IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL
- A mortgage servicer being sued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for allegedly “failing borrowers at every stage of the mortgage servicing process,” has asked a federal judge to reconsider its motion to dismiss after the CFPB has conceded the point that its leadership structure is not constitutional.
HEARING TODAY TO DETERMINE IF DEVOS SHOULD BE HELD IN CONTEMPT FOR VIOLATING ORDER NOT TO COLLECT FROM CORINTHIAN STUDENTS
- A hearing is being held today to determine whether Betsy DeVos, the Secretary of Education, should be held in contempt of court for allegedly continuing to collect on loans made to former students of the bankrupt, for-profit Corinthian College, in violation of a court order prohibiting those collection efforts.
NORTHWOOD ASSET MANAGEMENT GROUP HIGHLIGHTS KELLY KENNUTH, DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
- Northwood Asset Management Group, a nationally licensed third-party debt collection company delivering professional and reliable debt recovery solutions, is pleased to highlight our Director of Operations, Kelly Kennuth. In this role, Ms. Kennuth oversees all aspects of the collection agency.
COMPLIANCE DIGEST – READ WHAT THE EXPERTS THINK
- Click here to read this week’s Compliance Digest, sponsored by Applied Innovation. You’ll get insights and opinions from nine different compliance experts — Boyd Gentry, Brent Yarborough, Stefanie Jackman, Lauren Valenzuela, Michael Klutho, Rick Perr, Helen Mac Murray, Laurie Nelson, and Matt Kiefer — discussing the impact of recent court cases and legislative updates. You’re not going to get that kind of varied perspective anywhere else.
WORTH NOTING: Mason Rudolph is lucky to be ok after taking a vicious hit yesterday … The IRS audits more low-income people because it’s easier, it admits … A trick to boost your productivity if you work in a place where it’s tough to relax … The average person spent nine days commuting back and forth to work last year … The most popular beers from the Great American Beer Festival … For people looking for the best bluetooth speaker … The most dangerous airlines in the world … How millennials are to blame for the economy … This hotel is going to have shiplap everywhere.
Gym exercises most people are doing wrong
The Daily Digest is sponsored by Microbilt. Designed to help debt collection professionals, MicroBilt’s platform of recovery and skip tracing tools provide quick, convenient, and current data that help you prioritize and successfully track people down and collect. Keep your skip tracing and debt recovery efficient and effective! Contact us to find out about our 90 Day Try Us Program. Call 800-884-4397 or visit www.microbilt.com.