Home / Healthcare / More Than Half of Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients Have Bills in Collections: Survey

More Than Half of Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients Have Bills in Collections: Survey

More than half of 1,054 patients with metastatic breast cancer who participated in a survey recently indicated they had stopped or were refusing treatments because of the cost, and 54% of those who were surveyed said they had been contacted by a debt collector because of an unpaid cancer-related debt.

The findings were reported at a recent symposium of the American Society of Clinical Oncology related to a phenomenon known as “financial toxicity” and the impact that the cost of cancer-related care can have on the health and recovery of a patient.

Nearly 70% of the respondents indicated that they were worried about how they were going to pay their medical bills.

About 70% of the survey respondents had some form of medical insurance; the remaining 30% did not. About 90% of the uninsured patients reported being contacted by a debt collector, compared to about one-third of the insured patients, according to the study.

The median survival period for patients diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer is 27 months.

Some other interesting statistics from the survey:

  • Uninsured individuals more often reported refusing or delaying treatment due to cost (98% vs. 41% of insured)
  • Uninsured individuals were more likely to report skipping non-medical bills (40% vs. 16%)
  • Uninsured individuals were more likely to stop working after being diagnosed (65% vs. 46%)
  • More uninsured individuals had been contacted by a collections agency (77% vs. 36%)
  • Insured participants reported higher cost-related emotional distress, including being “quite a bit” or “very” stressed about not knowing cancer costs (53% vs. 32%) and about financial stress on their family due to their cancer (52% vs. 27%)

“Metastatic breast cancer patients reported an unprecedented level of cancer-related financial harm and significant worry about the financial legacy left behind in the wake of their illness,” the study concluded. “Health insurance expansion is a necessary, but insufficient strategy to address this financial burden; additional interventions to prevent and mitigate cancer-related financial harm are urgently needed.”

 

About mikegibb

Check Also

Survey Details Interest in Payment Plans to Cover Unpaid Medical Debts

More hospitals and healthcare facilities are rolling out payment plans for individuals, and could go …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Skip to toolbar