Let’s get one thing straight right off the bat. Going to the gym should never be anyone’s guilty pleasure. But, in this case, perhaps it is a very insightful indicator into the type of driven and motivated individual that Anita Manghisi is. Reading her answers to these questions, it is clear that Manghisi loves the industry and will do anything she can to protect it and help make it better. When she puts her mind to something, you can count on it getting done. Manghisi has been a prominent presence in the ARM industry for a number of years and has no problem speaking her mind. Read on to learn more about Anita and why she isn’t afraid to leave something on her desk until tomorrow.
Name: Anita M. Manghisi, IFCCE
Company: Independent Recovery Resources, Inc.
Length of time at current company: 24 years
Length of time in industry: 30 years
How did you get your start in the industry?
I started out as a debt collector in need of a job.
What is your career highlight so far?
My career highlights would have to be:
- Serving as President of the New York State Collectors Association for three terms between 2014-2017. I am currently the association’s legislative chairman;
- I was introduced to the New York State Assembly floor in 2013 by Assemblyman Dave McDonough. I was also introduced to the New York State Senate floor on the same day by good friend/supporter U.S. House Rep. Lee Zeldin;
- I have been invited to speak on a panel at the upcoming California Collectors Association Expo this October on the topic of legislative initiatives for the industry, specifically the battling with credit repair services organizations;
- I received an invitation to the White House tour during the ACA International Legislative Conference this past May;
- I was invited to speak alongside New York State Sen. David Carlucci on the topic of identify theft/fraud/robocalls/blocked calls and other industry hot topics. This is one of my greatest accomplishments because I have worked VERY hard at developing this relationship and to be invited to speak was such an honor. On a larger level, thought, it also means I have the senator pushing OUR legislative agenda on the credit repair services industry.
When or how are you most productive?
When I have established deadlines. I tend to be the most creative under high pressure. I thrive in chaos.
Which industry professional do you admire most?
I would say my esteemed colleagues in ACA International on both the state and national level. I also admire Rick Doane of Sunrise Credit Family Services in New York (who was president of ACA International in 2014-15) among many others.
What is one thing you do better than everyone else?
Multi-task/juggle projects successfully.
What do you like most about this industry?
The people I have had the pleasure of meeting and the ability to actually feel as if we are helping consumers resolve their financial obligations in a positive manner.
What is one thing you wish you could change about this industry?
Legislation. The predator attorneys who sue us on frivolous claims. The over-regulation of our industry; the class-action suits/tort claims.
If you weren’t in this industry, what would you be doing?
I would either be in the health/wellness industry or working for the hospital/healthcare system in some administrative capacity.
Describe a typical work day.
I typically come in to the office around 10am. I review emails and my high-priority tasks. I check in with my office manager on projects and tasks that the staff is working on. I touch base with the staff to ensure everyone has their priorities and workflows. I meet with our collection manager to discuss stats. I handle issues or updates with lawsuits, disputes, compliance matters, and client matters. I meet with the sales team to discuss hot leads, and brainstorm on cost-reducing operations as well as review stats, and take care of anything else I need to do before trying to leave at 5pm, unless working on project.
What is your guilty pleasure?
The GYM! I do tend to take more time off in the summer months. It’s one of the perks of being self employed.
What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
It’ll still be there in the morning.
What are you currently reading?
What is one fact you’d like everyone in the industry to know about you?
I’m a cancer survivor. I am titanium … I can not be broken.
Who else would you like to see answer these questions?
LaDonna Bohling, IFCCE,CCCO of Contract Callers Inc., in Augusta Ga. She is a colleague who thrives in our industry.